Monday, September 22, 2014

Little Time Left

No, I didn’t participate in the Climate Change march in Manhattan on Sunday, and yes, I feel guilty that I didn’t.  

I read books like The Sixth Extinction and Collapse, and I realize how little time we have.  I read articles that say that in 2013 we set a record for greenhouse gas emissions, and I despair.

I read that 43% of Americans believe that God created the world about 10,000 years ago.  I see that a guy named Moylan, who denies that the global climate is changing, is running for Congress in my district under the label of a political party that may well capture the Senate and already controls the House and the Supreme Court. 

I have a grandson who is eight years old.  He will face a world that has too many people, too little drinkable water, too much air pollution, too many countries like Haiti and Bangladesh and Ruanda that have decimated their environments.  He will see wars, famine, rising sea levels, and charlatan politicians who will find scapegoats to blame.


I love the fact that on Sunday people marched in countries across the globe.  I should have been with them.  Unfortunately, I fear we may have already passed the tipping point for a global collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment