Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Carbon County Referendum

My Susan Wild shirt–in the wash.  Fetterman hat–hung on the chair.  Shapiro button–on the dresser.  Today I was non-partisan, working the polls at the Towamensing Firehouse, telling people about the badly named “Carbon County Water Quality, Working Farms, and Wildlife Habitat Referendum” on our ballot.  


Linda worked the early morning shift; I was there mid-day, came home for lunch and a nap, and was back at it until evening.  I stressed how six farms had applied for the farmland preservation program in Carbon, but the County didn’t even have the funds to accept one.  


I also explained that the question was on the back page of the ballot; many people didn’t know it was there.  I got positive responses from a guy with a MAGA hat, from Republicans, from Democrats, from new residents, and from old-timers.  In a few cases I had to explain how the farmland preservation program worked, and I stressed that our farm had been preserved.  It was fun to push a measure that had no organized opposition.  


I’ll bet that Linda and I were responsible for at least 100 yes votes.  Unfortunately, the supporters were able to place workers at relatively few polling locations.  I am hoping for positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment