Wednesday, February 22, 2023

An "open and affirming church"

Although I am a committed atheist and have been since I was a teenager, I attend my wife’s church for a number of reasons.  First, I like the pastor.  He knows I am a nonbeliever and makes no fuss about it.  Secondly, it is a “mainline” Protestant church (United Church of Christ) that has no issue with gay marriages, abortions, or other important social issues.  Third, Linda is a member, and she likes me to accompany her.  Finally, I like the hymns.

A few months ago Linda noticed that most of the area U.C.C. churches in were listed as “open and affirming” on a church website, but not hers.  She made some inquiries and discovered the congregation actually has to vote on this, and members are also supposed to undertake some study.  Maybe it’s to raise awareness.  Anyway, members of the congregation were surprised that the church wasn’t already “open and affirming.”  None of the congregation had any reason to turn anyone away.

Last Sunday the members unanimously voted on whether to approve the following statement.  “We celebrate everyone, including people of all ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, family configurations, economic circumstances, physical, cognitive or emotional abilities, education or spiritual and religious traditions.” 

Before the vote was taken we were asked if there were any questions.  I was about to raise my hand and say, “You forget atheists,” but I knew Linda would hurt me if I did, so I was quiet.  

The vote was unanimous in favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment