Sunday, November 14, 2010

He's one of us?

The "Other" is a term used by sociologists to describe groups defined as outside the dominant culture.  The Other might be a racial, religious, ethnic, or language minority, but the dominant group fears this minority and works to keep it apart and subjugated.

So why would Doyle Heffley, Republican candidate for the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, use on his billboards the slogan "He's one of us"? Who is the "us"?  White people?  Christians?  Non-hispanics?

One of the reasons I won't run for office is because I might find it impossible to make the obligatory congratulatory phone call to my opponent if I lost.  How can candidates--or voters, for that matter--not remember campaign lies and smears?

Campaigns don't have to be dirty.  When Steve Serfass defeated Carole Walbert in the 2009 Carbon County judicial race, both candidates ran respectful campaigns.  Their primary opponent, Greg Mousseau, however, campaigned with "hit pieces" and smears.  I can't forget that.

Nor will I forget Heffley's recent campaign.  His mailer using a Yaich family quarrel that had absolutely no bearing on his opponent Justin Yaich showed just how low he'd go to win.  And this from a candidate who lectures us about family values.  If he is one of us, I'm pleased to be the Other.

No comments:

Post a Comment