Monday, August 29, 2011

How to handle bigoted emails


A close friend of mine received an email from one of her acquaintances decrying the idea that you are sometimes asked to press one for English.  The email also said that only two people died for others--Jesus Christ and the American soldier.  It was the typical xenophobic right-wing Christian crap that comes across the internet.  
What do you do with this stuff?  I’ll quote what my friend wrote back.  She then hit: reply all, sending the response to everybody on the sender’s list.  I have a feeling my friend has received the last message from the bigot.
Dear Friend:  In this part of the country there are many PA Dutch people whose fathers did not learn English until they went to first grade because German was spoken in the home (and this is a group who immigrated before the American Revolution).  My church (St. Paul’s Big Creek) conducted services in German until the mid-fifties, so I really don’t understand the lack of compassion or willingness to accommodate immigrants who still speak Spanish.  In fact, many immigrant groups around here did not ever learn English—their kids did, and translated for them.
I know for a fact that instructions were given in Polish and Czech in the coal mines and at the Zinc Company.  And yes, Jesus was an example of love--pure and unfiltered, which I do not see reflected in your email.  It would also be Christian to remember that  many of the U.S. soldiers are children of immigrants from Mexico—check out the surnames on the casualties lists.  
So that’s how you answer a mean-spirited and bigoted email.  Remember to always “reply all.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. It is an excellent response. I often get similar emails. My husband asks me why I waste time answering them. He hits the delete button. I feel that it is important to let people know in a diplomatic way that these are offensive. I hit reply all and on several occasions, I've had a response from someone I don't know thanking me for my email. I feel it is important to reach out to counter this hate. Many times the emails are false and so I include a link to snopes, PolitiFact or another truth site.

    ReplyDelete