Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pit Bulls

A few weeks ago, when I was canvassing in Lansford, I saw a sign on the gate saying “Beware of Dog.”  The dog in question came running out; it was about six inches tall and its bark sounded more like a squeak.  I decided to chance it.  The dog actually bit my blue jeans, but its teeth didn’t penetrate to the skin.  The owner was every nice and apologized for her dog’s bad behavior.

Today “The Watchdog,” [an interesting title] in the Morning Call featured an article about a pit bull owner who was angry that her insurance was cancelled because of her dog.  I am not sympathetic.  When is the last time you heard about a spaniel disfiguring a child?  When is the last time you heard about a corgi ripping another small dog apart?


I am fully aware that not all pit bulls are vicious.  I am also aware that different breeds of dogs can be lethal both to other animals and to humans.  If you are one of those people who need to own a pit bull, or a Rottweiler, or a Doberman, you should pay more insurance.  Your pet can kill other dogs and people.  If you don’t like it, buy a basset hound.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Last Saturday I went to a house that had a ouplr of german shepards and I thought both of them were going to break through the front picture window. Needless to say I left in haste. Insurance should be mandatory for dogs as well as gun owners

    ReplyDelete