Saturday, December 27, 2014

Four days, four movies

Dec. 24:  Night at the Museum, III
     Or was it #4.  If you saw either of the first two, you knew what to expect.  Most of this one takes place at the British Museum in London.  If you like Ben Stiller, enjoy peeing monkeys, or want to see Robin Williams in his last film, don’t miss it.

Dec. 25:  Into the Woods
In the previews no singing was evident.  How did I know this was made from a musical by Sondheim, with not one of the songs singable?  What I saw of the movie seemed rather clever (a mashup of mostly Grimm fairytales), but I really can’t judge, since I slept during most of it.  Linda, who did not sleep, did not like the film and is still angry at me for sleeping through it.

Dec. 26:  The Homesman
We saw this one in East Stroudsburg.  It stars Hillary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones, and it is a hard movie to watch.  The two main characters transport three insane women from Nebraska to Iowa in a mule-drawn wagon circa 1870 so the women can be shipped back east.  The lady who cleans up the popcorn told us the film was “intense,” and that is an understatement.  Great acting, great scenes, and both of us had trouble sleeping last night.

Dec. 27:  The Interview

Bruce, the manager at Mahoning Cinema, told me only nine theaters in PA had the film, and Mahoning was one of them.  I went out of a sense of duty to stick it to the North Koreans, intending to walk out if it got too gross.  Believe me, it does get gross--it is, after all, a Seth Rogan film--but I thought it was also pretty funny.  I did not fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment