Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Horses and Pangolins

In response to last night’s posting on the eating of various animals, I mentioned that I thought the French ate horse meat.  Today I received an email from Janette, a faithful reader in Belgium.  Here’s what she wrote:
     “Yes they do eat horse meat in France and in Belgium as well.  I could buy it at the local supermarket any day of the week.  However, I stick to other dead animals...what does that mean?”

I also mentioned in last night’s posting that while I had no objection to eating various animals, one category people should not eat is endangered species.  Today I read in the Science section of the Times that one of the reasons the pangolin is near extinction is because people in Cambodia and Vietnam are trapping and eating them.  The meat is considered a delicacy.  and goes for $150 a pound.  


The pangolin looks like a scaly anteater.  (Google it for pictures.)  We have over 7 billion people, a few thousand pangolins, and we are about to make them extinct because people want to eat them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment