Friday, December 7, 2018

CCC Camp in Nesquehoning

The Pennsylvania Lumber Museum in Potter County has a fairly extensive display devoted to the New Deal Civilian Conservation Corps, one of the most successful programs launched during the Depression.  CCC members built picnic grounds, developed trails, planted trees, erected cabins, and so much more.  The sidewalks on 10th Street next to San Jose State were put there by a CCC company.

I asked one of the docents at the museum if she had any information on CCC camps in Carbon County, and she gave me the contact information for the leading CCC historian in the state.  I finally sent him an email earlier this week and received a reply yesterday.  Carbon County had two camps.  One was at Hickory Run State Park; I had known about that one. 


I did not know about a “colored” CCC camp located in Nesquehoning where the fire company building is located.  I now have the Roster of Company 3308 and a picture of the men.  It never had occurred to me that the CCC was segregated, but in retrospect, of course it would have been.  

No comments:

Post a Comment