Monday, May 27, 2019

Siri and Alexa are hot

When I read the headline that Siri and Alexa contribute to sexism, I thought, really?  A voice over the speaker contributes to sexism?  Then I read the article.  A report by Unesco said, “Obedient and obliging machines that pretend to be women are entering our homes, cars and offices.”

When you call Siri an expletive, she replies, “I’d Blush if I Could.”  When you tell Alexa, “You’re hot,” she replies, “That’s nice of you to say.”  Notice I’m using female gender.  They are machines, but you don’t think of them that way.

Siri and Alexa are both obsequious and servile.  They sound like young women.  They are assistants.  They are there to do your bidding.  

I think the Unesco report is right.


See Megan Specia, “Siri and Alexa Contribute to Sexism, Unesco Finds,” New York Times, (May 23, 2019), p. A12

No comments:

Post a Comment