Sunday, August 18, 2019

Poking the hornets' nest

Three weeks ago I wrote the Lancaster Farming newspaper asking why it ran a column on religion.  Every week a Protestant pastor expounds on theology.  I pointed out that I was sure the pastor was fine person, but I saw no reason to include a column on Christianity in a newspaper about farming, especially since at least some readers, including me, were not Christians.

They printed my letter.  The following week the paper included seven letters telling me that you couldn't be a farmer and not believe in god or to skip the column if I didn’t like it.  Nobody said I would burn in hell, although at least one hinted at the possibility.  The strangest one called me a “social media activist.”  Me, who is not on Facebook, never “tweeted,” never texted, and don’t even have a smart phone.  Linda said they probably googled me. When I did that, I found this blog was listed, so here I am, “social media activist.”

Then Lancaster Farming ran a poll to see if the readers thought a religious column was appropriate.  The poll showed 79% wanted the column.  What surprised me was that 21% said no.  I didn’t participate in the poll.  It didn’t seem quite right.

On Saturday there were three more letters critical of me.  One letter said the paper should have “more God, less UN.”  One said the Bible has everything to do with agriculture, and one called me selfish for wanting to deprive readers of a column they enjoy. 


My hot peppers did not do very well this year.  I have a feeling that quite a few readers of Lancaster Farming will be convinced they know the reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment