Monday, February 3, 2020

Iowa Caucuses

I know Iowa caucus goers are better educated than the average voter, and I know Iowans are whiter and older than the average American, but I like the caucus system.  I like the idea of people getting together in the church basement or the high school gym and joining the supporters of their candidates, talking to each other, strategizing when their candidate doesn’t make the 15% threshold.  If I’m a Klobuchar supporter and she doesn’t have the 15%, do I then caucus with Mayor Pete’s group, or do I see if we can combine with the Yang Gang to get to 15%, or do I jump to Biden because I think he has the best chance to beat Trump?  


This feels like what democracy should be.  Community action and thoughtful voters weighing ideology with electability.  I don’t think every state should adopt the caucus system, but Iowa should definitely have a place in the selection process.

No comments:

Post a Comment