Sunday, March 20, 2022

Canvassing in Nesquehoning

 We managed to get another 20 signatures on our nominating petitions in Nesquehoning today, even though the weather was cold and windy.  The idiocy of Pennsylvania state rules on nominations has become abundantly clear.  For example, you need to write down your municipality, not your address.  You are required to enter your house number, then your street, and then your municipality.

I write down 6495 (the house number), then Pohopoco Drive (the street), then Towamensing.  But my address is Lehighton.  While I have done this enough times to know what to do, many people automatically will enter their post office.  It is a natural tendency.

In Nesquehoning today about half of our signers were retired.  Some have trouble writing.  Nonetheless, they must print “Nesquehoning” in a small space.  I can’t do it for them; they are required to do it themselves.  If they use ditto marks, their signature doesn’t count.  These are arbitrary rules that have no reason for being other than to make things difficult and set up challenges.

Incidentally, one woman told me, “I never sign anything.”  How does she ever submit her income tax form or write a check?  She could read the petition, she could look at her neighbors’ names.  I’m not asking for money.  I don’t get it.

On the other hand, most people are polite and pleasant, even Republicans.  That’s what keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment