Monday, March 6, 2023

Squirrel trapper

We have two bird feeders and a suet station.  We get the usual visitors–cardinals, red-bellied woodpeckers, chickadees, juncos, downy and hairy woodpeckers, and tufted titmice.  Right now we are also getting flocks of red-winged blackbirds and grackles, and soon the goldfinches will show up.  


We also sometimes attract squirrels which jump on the feeders and are a real nuisance.  I trap them in a “have-a-heart” trap and transport them to a nice squirrel reserve along the Pohopoco Creek about four miles away.  I know some animals don’t take well to new surroundings, but I don’t think the squirrels will have a problem–lots of brush, a stream, no major highway, and not many homes.  


I caught and released one this morning.  He (I assume a he) was rather angry, but when I released him, he didn’t hang around to complain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment