Thursday, September 17, 2026

Annie Dillard, 1945-2026

Her most famous book was Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, sort of a Walden about her experience with the natural world near Roanoke, Virginia.  Her book that I liked  better was An American Childhood, an account of her growing up in Pittsburgh.  She was one of those kids who read a great deal, loved her neighborhood library, and found the people in her neighborhood to be worthy of respect.  I also found it refreshing that as soon as she had memorized her phone number, she was allowed to roam her neighborhood by herself.  Here in Towamensing Township it seems the kids aren’t allowed to walk a hundred feet from the bus to their front door without a parent meeting them


And here is a factoid that was not in the New York Times obit.  Her dad was an extra in “Night of the Living Dead.”  I don’t know how I know that, but it might have been in mentioned in An American Childhood.  I know I didn’t just make it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment