Sunday, April 10, 2011

Overload

I have got to take a walk in the woods tomorrow.  I need to calm down.  In the last two days I have read:
1.  An article in the Saturday New York Times detailing how a student was suspended by the NCAA for something his mother did that he didn’t even know about, while the UConn coach, the highest paid government official in Connecticut, was given a lesser punishment (not to take effect until after this year’s playoffs) for major recruitment violations.
2.  An essay in today’s New York Times about a prisoner in Louisiana who was on death row for fourteen years because the prosecution withheld evidence.  The U.S. Supreme Court said he couldn’t collect damages.  The vote was five to four, and of course the five were the Republicans.  The prosecution received no punishment.
3.  A listing of the amount paid to CEOs in today’s Business section, and how much more their salaries rose this past year compared to the rest of us.
4.  An analysis in today’s Morning Call of the Pennsylvania legislature’s excessive staffing and overspending.in the time of a so-called budget crisis.
I suffer from insomnia.  I have high blood pressure.  I feel like I’m about to snap.  Tomorrow I am taking a long walk in Beltzville State Park.  The problem is that I know that when I come back, nothing will have changed.

1 comment:

  1. Take sometime away from the newspapers, tv, and just try living a while like we did sometime ago.
    I for one spend time outside with the grapes and garden. Also, I have taken up a past time of Quilt and sewing which my wife and I work together.
    It is good therapy. As much as we think we can make a difference, we cannot. Seems that no matter who we elect to office its always the same.

    ReplyDelete