Saturday, April 20, 2013

Thank you, Senator Toomey


The Carbon County Democrats for Change rented a space at the Earth Day Festival in Jim Thorpe today.  Our main activity was collecting signatures on a petition to thank Senator Toomey for spearheading the drive to pass legislation mandating background checks for people buying assault rifles. 

I did my best to defeat Sen. Toomey when he ran two years ago, and I can’t think of any other issue on which he and I were in agreement.  Nonetheless, he worked very hard in tandem with West Virginia Democratic Senator Joe Manchin to get the background check bill through the Senate.  That it failed does not lessen my respect for him.  

By the way, the bill did get a majority, but under the undemocratic Senate rules, 60 votes were needed to pass it.  Our Founding Fathers would be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment