Friday, July 5, 2013

Who was that masked man?


When I was seven, in 1949, our neighbors Edward and Ruth bought a television set.   My parents didn’t get a TV until the Sixties, when I was away at college.  (Many members of our family have been “late adopters.”)  The upshot was that on Thursday nights, if I remember correctly, I was allowed to walk up Big Creek Pike to visit with Edward and Ruth and watch The Lone Ranger and Tonto vanquish bad guys.

They were great role models--loyal to each other, defending the weak against injustice, never mean, never cruel.  I now know that Jay Silverheels was playing a stereotype, but at the time I was convinced that if Indians were like Tonto, they were to be emulated.  I also don’t think the Lone Ranger ever shot anyone.  He was always able to shoot the gun out of the bad guy’s hand.

Will I go to see the new Lone Ranger movie?  The one where Johnny Depp plays a different stereotype.  The one where a bad guy cuts open a victim and eats his heart.  The one full of explosions and violence and computer-generated graphics.  No thanks.  I have my standards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment