Sunday, March 30, 2014

Repealing the 15th Amendment


While I don’t think anyone has actually proposed that--yet--the result of a number of recent laws certainly have that end result.  I have heard the argument made that voter I.D. is necessary to prevent fraud.  I know that is a bogus argument, but at least it is a rationale that makes some sense.

On the other hand, when a state passes laws shutting down polling places (North Carolina) or restricting Sunday voting (Ohio), there can be only one purpose, and that is to suppress the vote.  

Just think--one of the two major parties in this democracy is attempting to win elections by restricting the suffrage of certain groups--young people, African Americans, Latinos.  I am fully aware that we did that in the past with literacy tests, poll taxes, whites only primaries, and ultimately violence and lynching and murder, but I really thought those days were past.  

You might want to take a closer look at what states like Wisconsin, Ohio, and North Carolina are doing.  Go to <http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/us/new-gop-bid-to-limit-voting-in-swing-states.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment