Sunday, July 6, 2014

Name change for Sajeonogi


When my friend Rene Calvo set up my blog, I knew nothing about blogging.  What I wanted was a forum.  I had been teaching since 1966;  for over 40 years I had a built-in audience.  The students had to listen, since what I said might be on the test.  When Corbett cutbacks ended my part-time job at East Stroudsburg University, I lacked an audience.  I felt bereft.

Around the time Rene set up the blog, the term “sajeonogi” was being bandied about.  A Korean boxer of dubious ability nonetheless won his matches by sheer determination.  According to various accounts, the Korean word sajeonogi was applied to the boxer.  It meant “knocked down four times, rising up five.” 

I did not know Korean, but this appealed to me.  It didn’t matter what the right wing or the racists or the bad guys did, our side would rise up, again and again.

The problem was that few readers knew what sajeonogi meant, couldn’t pronounce it, thought it was weird.  Two weeks ago Linda’s sister pointed out that I had thousands of former students and other acquaintances who knew my name.  She told me I’d get more readers if I simply called the blog “Dr. Roy Christman’s blog.”

When Rene was here over the Fourth, we discussed this, and tonight he changed the name.  He will soon change the large font,and he would like to use a picture of me rather than the goat, but “Sajeonogi” is now “Dr. Roy Christman’s blog.”  Simple, to the point, easy to remember.

I do like the goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment