Thursday, April 16, 2015

Why I'm supporting Clinton

Gail Collins today touched on what Hillary Clinton has going for her.  It is Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, and Jeb Bush.  I’d add to that Bobby Jindal, Ben Carson, Ricky Santorum, Mike Huckabee, and Rick Perry.

There is not one of those guys who should be anywhere near the White House.  I’ll admit Clinton would not be my first choice for Democratic nominee.  Not even my second.  I don’t like the whole dynasty business, and I’d like a true liberal.

Nevertheless, I think women have a right to abortion, voting should not be curtailed, gays should be allowed to marry, and the U.S. should not jump into combat with poor people’s sons and daughters.  I also believe that climate change must be addressed, we can’t deport 11 million people, the environment must be protected, Social Security, Medicare, and the Affordable Care Act need to be kept and strengthened, federal judges should be intelligent and reasonable people, and we should be turning to renewable energy.

What Republican hopeful shares even a third of those beliefs?  We are talking about candidates who ignore science, pander to the wealthy, either ignore the poor or despise them, always put PAC donors first, and have about the same the level of understanding of world politics as an insurance agent from Lubbock.

So, Clinton it is.  I have a feeling as November 2016 gets closer, I’ll be an even more enthusiastic supporter.


2 comments: