Sunday, August 16, 2015

Late August music

I’ve written about the lovely sound of the spring peepers piping out their mating calls in April and May.  I’m not sure which I like better, the frogs in the spring, or the crickets and katydids in August.  If you live anywhere in the country, step outside after dark and listen.  You are hearing a closeout of summer and the harbinger of fall.  

I’ve noticed the black walnut leaves are already drifting down, and I haven’t seen any swallows lately.  I think they’ve already headed south.  Today was the first day the sun set before 8 p.m.  


For most of my life–elementary school, high school, college, grad school, and teaching at San Jose State and East Stroudsburg–I would be thinking about the fall semester.  Now fall is just another season, and I look forward to it.  Play on, crickets and katydids.

No comments:

Post a Comment