Sunday, August 9, 2015

The DARK bill

Earlier this week I ate some GMO sweet corn.  I did hesitate to eat it, not because I’m worried about my health, but rather because I don’t like the way Monsanto is using GMO seeds to sell the herbicide Roundup.

On Aug. 8, Lancaster Farming reported that H.R. 1599 passed the House on July 24 on a 275-150 vote.  The bill, labeled the “Safe and Accurate Food Labeling law,” or the SAFE act, would prevent states from requiring food labels to indicate the presence of genetic modified organisms.  


The bill is also known as the DARK act, or the “Deny Americans the Right-to-Know.”  My own sympathies lie on the side of people who want to know what they are eating.  If they don’t want to eat GMO foods, they should have the right to know what they are eating.  To label this the “SAFE act” is the kind of crap at which the Republican Congress excels.

No comments:

Post a Comment