Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Jeff Flake

My brother-in-law Tom gave me a copy of Conscience of a Conservative by Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona.  I’ve only read the first chapter, but I already know that Sen. Flake is not my kind of Senator.  Grew up on a ranch, devout Mormon, self-made man, conservative on just about every issue.
In other words, a typical conservative Republican.

Nevertheless, while he represents the type of Republican I would campaign against, if he won, I would not worry about the future of our country.  He’s a normal human being, with normal human instincts.  He was one of the “Gang of Eight” in the Senate who tried to work out a compromise on immigration.  He is well within the guidelines of normal political give and take.

Much of his book, I understand, is a call for Republicans to act like Republicans, not like obscene and vulgar tweet-monkeys who do not understand the importance of truth and integrity.  

Mr. Flake announced today that he is not running for re-election..


I understand why he might be reluctant to do that given the political climate today.  He would face an assault in the primary from a Bannon clone.  Nonetheless, I think American democracy will lose a supporter whose principles, although not exactly mine, are those I can live with.  I just wish more Republican members of the House and Senate, including my own Senator Toomey, felt the need to speak out as Jeff Flake has.

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the list of honorable Republicans is growing. George W. Bush, Corker, Flake, and McCain have all spoken out.

    ReplyDelete