Friday, October 6, 2017

Letter to the Palmerton Rod and Gun Club

Dear Rod and Gun Club members:

I am hereby resigning my lifetime membership in the Palmerton Rod and Gun Club.  I have noticed in the past that the Club is associated quite closely with the National Rifle Association.  While I support the right of Americans to own guns, I also support reasonable restrictions on those guns.  For example, I do not believe Americans have a right to own RPGs, ground-to-air missiles, tanks, automatic weapons, or weapons that can be converted into automatic.

The National Rifle Association takes pride in buying members of Congress, in preventing a bill from passing that would have studied gun violence, in supporting gun show purchases with no background checks, in supporting “cop-killer” bullets, in supporting the legalization of  silencers, and in opposing any efforts to license gun owners the way drivers are licensed–after passing a test to show they are competent.


It is with some sadness that I am resigning.  My father was a member of this organization, and I have been a member for years.  The Rod and Gun Club does some good work with kids and in the community.  If it ever severs its relationship with the N.R.A., I would reconsider my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment