Friday, January 26, 2018

I got mine, screw you

During the mid-70s San Jose was the destination for thousands of Vietnamese refugees who had fled the Communist government.  During that time I was a field rep for a state senator, and our office had to respond to some very nasty letters and calls attacking the new immigrants.  Some of the most racist claimed our new residents were eating cats and dogs, and California actually passed a bill forbidding the eating of pets.

Today I read an article that many immigrants to the United States, including some Vietnamese, are opposing legislation to allow Dreamers to stay.  They complain that they had to come here legally, so why shouldn’t these kids be allowed to stay?  

First, maybe because the Dreamers were brought here as kids.  Secondly, I have never understood the motivations of people who think “I suffered and had a terrible time, so I want you to suffer and have a terrible time as well.”  I don’t get that.

I also don’t understand people like Lou Barletta, descendent of immigrants who arrived before the U.S. had quotas and restrictions, now calling for quotas and restrictions.

Nor do I understand the anti-abortion letter writer to the Morning Call today attacking people who wanted to allow the Dreamers to stay and tied that to a lack of concern for the “unborn.”


Luckily the cruel, the mean, and the stupid are in the minority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment