Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Israel and El Salvador

Israel is giving a stark choice to thousands of refugees from Africa.  They can either go to jail or take $3500 and a plane ride to any African country that will accept them.  When I read this, I thought I would post a scathing condemnation of the cruelty of the Israeli government.

I had second thoughts when I considered that the U.S. does not give its deportees any choice.  They are jailed first, then deported with no money at all.

I had those second thoughts even before the new policy was announced on refugees from El Salvador.  George Bush admitted about 200,000 in 2001 after a devastating earthquake in that country.  They have been here for over a decade, hold jobs, have children who are American citizens, and fit in quite well.

New policy.  We are sending them back.  No $3500.  Just sent back.


We have a terrible record..  The treatment of Indians, Irish immigrants, slaves, Jewish immigrants, freed blacks, the Chinese, Germans in World War I, Japanese in World War II, Latino farmworkers–it is depressing.  And now we are adding new chapters to the list.  What is wrong with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment