Thursday, January 18, 2018

Letters from the "basket of deplorables"

Ok, I know Clinton shouldn’t have said that, and I know I should be reaching out, but I find it so hard.  So hard.

Today the New York Times printed 15 letters from Trump voters who still think highly of the man.  They credit him with defeating ISIS, a roaring stock market, lower unemployment, getting rid of Obamacare, tax “reform” (my quotes, not theirs), authenticity (I guess because he uses vulgar language), working to stop immigration, supporting education rather than teachers’ unions, and the appointment of Neil Gorsuch and other conservative judges.

In the 15 letters there was no mention of voter suppression, Bears Ears, the rollback of environmental protections, the Paris Climate accord, the racism, the weakening of consumer protections, the attempt to subsidize coal at the expense of solar, the off-shore drilling, the declining prestige of America abroad, the attack on the press (except in three cases to support it), the destruction of the norms of civility, the demonizing of opponents, the increase in the national deficit, the personal enrichment of friends and family, the approval of lead shot, the denigration of American Indians, the support of white supremacists, the anti-choice policies, the backing of a sexual predator running for U.S. Senate, and I could go on, but why bother.  


I just can’t stop thinking these voters are either stupid, not paying any attention, getting their information exclusively from Fox, or simply evil.

1 comment: