Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Eating dog meat

Today’s New York Times has a full page ad by a group that is trying to ban the eating of dog meat.   I know there are many more important issues–Pruitt, Iran, North Korea, the torturer who may head the CIA–but this one made me angry.

I have read that about one in six children on this globe goes to bed hungry.  If their hunger can be alleviated by eating dog meat, that is fine with me.

I do not expect Muslims and Jews to tell me I can’t eat pork.  I do not expect Hindus to tell me I can’t eat beef.  I do not expect Jains to tell me I can’t eat fired grasshoppers.  I do not expect vegans to tell me I can’t eat eggs.  And I am certainly not about to tell people they can’t eat dogs.

Answer these questions:
Are dogs endangered?
Are dogs an integral part of the ecosystem?
Are dogs more intelligent than monkeys or apes or pigs?

The answers to those questions are No, and No, and No.  


Final question:  Do they taste good?  I don’t know; I’ve never eaten one, but I certainly am willing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment