Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The House of Representatives chaplain

There was a small dustup last week when Speaker Paul Ryan fired the chaplain for the House of Representatives.  The chaplain was a Roman Catholic, as is Ryan, but evidently Ryan was irritated when one of the prayers asked that the tax “reform” be fair.

There is also a belief that some of the evangelical “Christians” in the House wanted one of their own, and one member even said he thought the chaplain should have a wife and children.  That’s rather transparent.  

I have a different question.  Why does the House of Representatives even have an official chaplain?  Why are prayers part of the House business?  In fact, why do the Carbon County Commissioners begin their meetings with a prayer?  


No, I don’t get up and walk out.  I’m respectful, but I think religion should not be part of governmental meetings.  I want Jefferson’s wall between church and state.  There’s a wall I can support.

No comments:

Post a Comment