Sunday, March 1, 2020

Pete Buttigieg

Buttigieg suspended his campaign tonight.  I watched his speech, and I was struck by how decent both he and the other Democratic candidates are.  Whether left or center, they are all so decent.  They don’t make fun of people, don’t denigrate minority groups, and aren’t in it for the money.  Think of some of the people who have left the race, like Castro or Harris or Steyer or O’Rourke or Booker.  All of them were competent; all were qualified.  Any one of them makes Trump look small, mean, and stupid.

Mayor Pete broke ground with his campaign.  I’ve seen amazing progress in my lifetime, but to someone my age (77), the idea of a gay man with a husband running for President and garnering the support of millions is truly wonderful.  I am often very critical of our country, but in important ways we are so much better than we have ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment