Monday, April 6, 2020

Coronavirus and poor people

We were told that the coronavirus mainly affected old people, especially those with existing medical problems like diabetes.  That’s true; it does.  What we weren’t told but are learning is that it also disproportionately attacks poor people.  Poor people in many cases don’t have health insurance and may delay going in for treatment.  Poor people often live paycheck to paycheck, and they can’t afford not to work.  They live in “food deserts,” and have to travel to distant markets.  They don’t have cars and take buses and subways.  They are often in poor health with chronic problems.

As a retiree, I have it easy.  I don’t need to go out to work.  I don’t need to take public transportation.  If I need groceries, I have a car.  I have health insurance.  Pity the waitress or the Amazon worker or the nursing home attendant who have none of these things.

By the way, the Trump administration is going forward with the lawsuit to overturn the Affordable Care Act.  On the other hand, Trump’s ratings are high, and he noted that lots of people are following him on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment