Thursday, April 2, 2020

Trusting the census?

If you are a Mexican-American filling-out the census forms, should you trust the information you give to be protected from ICE or the Border Patrol?  I would say yes, but I am not of Latin descent.

Americans of Japanese descent who filled out their census questionnaire in 1940 probably trusted in the law that said census information was protected, yet in 1942 the War Powers Act authorized the Census Bureau to release information on Japanese-Americans that was used to track down American citizens of Japanese descent and put them into camps.

The head of the Census Bureau refused to divulge the information, but he retired, and his successor released the information.  

I hope Latinos do fill out their census forms, since Congressional representation depends on the count.  Nonetheless, I understand why they might be reluctant, especially now that Trump is President.

I found the info on the 1940 census in Jill Lapore, “But Who’s Counting?” New Yorker, (March 23, 2020), pp.10-16.

1 comment:

  1. Roy, Sorry to use your blog for personal a personal message, but I have been trying to reconnect with you and Linda for some time. I stumbled upon this blog and hope you can contact me with more appropriate contact information. Much has happened in m y life since I got your letter 5 or 6 years ago. I suspect you and Linda have had many new adventures as well. Please contact me at madalama@comcast.net. Say hello to Linda for me.
    BTW, I planted my onions last week. Terry Dunning

    ReplyDelete