Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Drought in Utah

 When we drove to California in June we went by a lake just north of Coalville, Utah.  It was the first time I saw the lake when it wasn’t full, and it was way down.  Today I read that the town of Oakley, about 20 miles south of Coalville, has stopped issuing building permits because the town authorities doubt if water will be available.  Marin County, where we lived for nine years, is also thinking about restricting new housing.

Less than one mile west of our house here in Pennsylvania is a subdivision with 36 lots.  Six houses have gone up in the past year in that subdivision.  All depend on well water.  I was on the Planning Commission when the subdivision was approved.  I asked whether we should require tests to see if the aquifer was capable of supporting that many homes, but I was assured it wasn’t necessary.

We’ll see.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your concern, but there is a big difference between Penna. and the Western states. I recall that when the White Oaks were being developed that many thought the it would have a major impact on our wells. I have not seen any difference in my well or the springs that flow on out property. Penna. is blessed with an abundance of water. Rural homes like ours with on lot treatment put almost 90% of there water usage back into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are right, but we really have not had a bad drought yet. Keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete