Monday, August 30, 2021

Jury Duty in Jim Thorpe

 A few weeks ago Linda and I received letters to inform us that we had been selected for jury duty and to report to the Courthouse in Jim Thorpe at 8:15 on August 30.

People often think that because you live on a farm, you get up early.  This is a myth.  Did you know the sun is barely up at 6:30?

Although we were told to arrive at 8:15, the doors to the Courthouse didn’t open until 8:30.  We went in, registered, filled out a questionnaire to determine if we might be biased, (for example, would you think a defendant is likely to be guilty if he or she does not testify), and then waited until the attorneys decided who they wanted for the jury and two alternates.  The whole thing lasted until 12:45, after the jury had been selected.  The trial starts on Thursday morning.

I thought it was strange that Linda and I were selected together; I can’t imagine the two of us sitting on the same jury, and I also doubt if that jury would ever reach an agreement as to guilt or innocence.  Anyway, it didn’t come up–neither of us was picked.

2 comments:

  1. Well you tried. I was on two juries in my life time. Once just a regular jurist, another I had the honor to be the foreman on another. I no longer need to serve, since one may be no called at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have gotten out of it because I'm over 75, but I've never been on one, so I thought it would be interesting. In three years they might call me again.

    ReplyDelete