Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Must I explain everything?

 Today’s Lehighton Times News had a front page picture of a group protesting the Lehighton Area School Board’s decision that students be required to wear masks.  One woman carried a sign that said “Parents Choice!  Our Kids Our Right No masks.”  You think I’m about to decry the lack of the possessive or the use of three explanation points, but I’m not.  Those are minor.

What struck me was the guy next to her carrying a sign with the same message.  He was wearing a tee shirt that said “Don’t Blame Me.  I voted for Trump.”  

No, no, no.  When you hold a protest, you do it on one subject only.  You don’t alienate potential allies.  My first thought when I saw the guy’s tee was, “Oh, another one of those sore losers.”

Also, you want to make the object of your protest clear.  One woman was holding up a sign that said “Choice, not mandate,” and I thought she had wandered in from an abortion rights rally.  

People, people.  Do it right or don’t do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment