Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Biden's error

Recently I posted that President Biden did the right thing by telling China that the U.S. would come to the aid of Taiwan if it were attacked.  I said that sometimes ambiguity in foreign policy was a bad thing when clear signals are needed.

Now I understand that Biden has told the Ukrainians that the U.S. will not provide weapons that can be used in Russian territory.  Here is a case where ambiguity would be a good thing.  Now Putin can proceed with confidence that he will not be in danger from U.S. weaponry.  Why tell him that?  Why give him the green light?  Make him nervous.  Make him guess.  Make him afraid.

I don’t usually pull rank, but my Penn State Ph.D. is in International Relations.  I’m a damn expert on this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment