Sunday, December 25, 2022

My preferred pronouns

I was so happy when the term “Ms.” was introduced as an honorific for all women.  I could never remember if women were married (Mrs.) or single (Miss).  When you were addressing a letter to a woman you didn’t know, it was always a guess.  The term Ms. made life so much easier.  Women were Ms., men were Mr.

My latest American Civil Liberties Union newsletter arrived in the mail last week.  Six new staffers were introduced.  After each name were the preferred pronouns.  Do you understand what that means?  Not only will I have to remember names of people to whom I’m introduced (something I’ve had trouble with all my life), but I’ll have to remember whether they are he/him/his or she/her/hers or it or they/them. 

Not only that, but take a quick poll at Wal-Mart and ask people to define a pronoun.  Go ahead.  Ask them to define a pronoun.  Good luck with that.  

So while the world is going to hell in a hand basket, missiles are dropping in Ukraine, and the leading cause of death of children ins the U.S. is gun violence, I am simply not going to worry about pronouns.  Neither should you.  But if you do, I won’t use any pronouns for you.  I’ll just say your name each time.  I hope that’s ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment