Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Kevin McCarthy frightens me

Nancy Pelosi had members of her caucus who were less than happy with electing her as speaker.  Known as “the Squad,” they were to the left of most House Democrats.  In spite of their differences, they understood the importance of unity, of the need for some compromise in order to accomplish even limited goals.

In the Senate Joe Manchin of West Virginia was not in favor of much of the Biden agenda, but he understood the need to compromise, and the more liberal Democrats understood the need to placate him, given the views of Manchin’s constituents. 

Republicans who oppose McCarthy aren’t like that.  McCarthy isn’t like that either.  They have no policies they want to enact, no goals they want to achieve other than to hold power, no matter what the cost.  

On one level I enjoy watching the Republican House debacle.  On the other hand, the amorality of those people scares me.  I don’t understand how so-called “moderate” Republican members of Congress can even associate with them.  

Tomorrow I’m taking my computer into “Double Click” in Bethlehem for a tuneup.  I don’t know how long it will take to “de-frag” it, but I may be off-line for a number of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment