Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Changing opinons

I worked in an auto parts warehouse in West Oakland from 1970 to 1973.  For part of that time I worked with a guy named Rip, who was a Marxist.  I liked Rip.  I remember one time we crashed a Nixon rally in San Francisco where supporters were yelling “Four more years.”  Each time they yelled that, you then could hear Rip then shouting “of war.”  It really detracted from the “four more years” slogan.
As you might expect, Rip and I discussed politics.  I think he only worked with me about five months, but we would get into it every day.  Our arguments were always civil, but they were continuous.  I remember asking him after months of argument, “Rip, have I changed your mind on anything?”  He said I had, but the issue he mentioned was very minor.  Think of that--we argued for months, and almost nothing changed.
I sometimes think of Rip when I am posting on this blog.  Have I changed anyone’s mind on any issue?  I believe that I may have educated some of my readers on certain topics, but I think that most of the people who read “Sajeonogi” already agree with most of the things I write; those who don’t agree don’t read it.
I wonder if Rip is still a Marxist.  

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully some other people may read this blog but are not listed as followers. Don't lose the faith!

    ReplyDelete