Thursday, April 5, 2012

Reassurance

In a column in today’s New York Times, Nicholas D. Kristof discussed a pair of scientific studies of poultry on factory farms that found that chickens on those farms “...are routinely fed caffeine, active ingredients of Tylenol and Benadryl, banned antibiotics and even arsenic.”
Arsenic is fed to chickens because it reduces infections.  Benadryl and Prozac are fed to chickens to reduce anxiety.  Caffeine keeps them awake so they eat more.
Some readers of this blog eat our eggs.  One has even used one of our old chickens to make stock for stew.  
Here is my disclaimer.  Our chickens are fed “lay mash” manufactured in Kempton, Pennsylvania.  The feed contains no caffeine, arsenic, antibiotics, or Tylenol.
I also throw corn, lettuce, weeds, apples, and sunflower seeds into their yard as a treat.  Occasionally, when I’m working in the garden, I’ll toss them an earthworm or a grub.  They love those.  And while I do drink coffee, I don’t share it with our leghorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment