Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Confrontation with Rep. Heffley

The Carbon County Labor Chapter invited the two Democratic candidates for State House of Representatives, Ron Rabenold and Jerry Strubinger, to come to our Monday meeting at Lengyel’s in Nesquehoning to discuss labor issues.  Rep. Heffley was also invited. 
Ron Rabenold was very good, discussing how labor is under attack.  Jerry Strubinger was not so good--his proposal to limit the number of legislators will increase the proportion of Republicans.  As districts get bigger, it will cost more to run, and more Republicans will win.  His other proposal to give each county in Pennsylvania one senator each is unconstitutional under the Supreme Court decisions in Baker v. Carr and Reynolds v. Sims.
Rep. Heffley was tremendously irritating.  He stood there with a straight face and claimed that the Corbett administration had increased funding for education.  Linda explained to me later how the Republicans do the math.  They increased allocations to  the pension fund because of a court order, and they are counting that as money toward education.  So even though they have cut elementary, secondary, and higher education drastically, they add in the pension money as their education spending.  I would say this is weaselly, but I don’t want to insult weasels.
I asked Rep. Heffley a non-labor question about why we needed picture ID to vote.  He went into the usual spiel about fraud, so I asked him why college students needed an expiration date on their picture ID.  He said they did need an expiration date.  I knew that; he didn’t answer the question; and I lost my temper and raised my voice.
Then Heffley said it is not hard to get an ID, and you need one everywhere.  He noted he had to show a picture ID when he got an MRI.  I am not sure what getting an MRI has to do with voting.  I also know that I will work very hard indeed to elect Ron Rabenold.

2 comments:

  1. Here is copy of letter that I sent to Rep. Heffley
    Rep. Doyle Heffley
    Lehighton, Pa 18235
    Subject: Voter ID
    Doyle,
    I was not happy to read about your support for the new legislation about voter ID. I feel confused as to why we need such a law.
    You are making it so that many people will not jump through the hoops to secure a photo ID. You make it sound so easy.
    One must find their Birth certificate, 2 pieces of something they received in the mail along with their SS card.
    I’ll give you an example that my wife and I discussed.
    I told her what she would need to do if I was not here anymore.
    She noted all our bills come in my name and not hers. So, she has nothing to show she even resides here. Therefore she has no proof of residence.
    Next, she said, if I need a Birth certificate where do I get it.
    You have to go to the bureau of vital statistics in Harrisburg. That should take you about 4-6 weeks. After all that you must go to our local Drivers License center to get your Photo ID.
    But, I do not drive. You did all the driving.
    Now you have to find someone to take you there.
    Her reply: the Hell with it. I just will not Vote anymore.
    Sounds like you legislators have created a monster. Or, is it mission accomplished?

    ReplyDelete