Monday, February 25, 2013

Gun insurance


As the debate on gun control moves along, I’ve heard some very sensible proposals, such as limiting the number of rounds in magazines or requiring background checks for all purchases.  One of the more interesting ones is to require “gun insurance.”

A number of state legislators in such states as California, Connecticut, and New York, have introduced bills to require gun owners to purchase liability insurance.  If you own a car you must buy liability insurance--why not gun owners?  People who have less dangerous guns, such as muzzle loaders, or who have safety features, such as trigger locks, would pay lower rates.  

I will write Rep. Doyle Heffley about this--it might be just the kind of financial incentive he would support.

3 comments:

  1. But, who is he beholding to--the NRA or the insurance industry. I believe it's the NRA. More votes there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rep Heffley is a hunter and has spoken at a recent meeting about guns and safety. Article was in the times-news last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that Rep. Heffley is a big 2nd Amendment guy. So am I, for that matter. I just think that an insurance requirement might go a long way to encourage more responsible gun ownership. I may have too much faith in Rep. Heffley being reasonable, but I'm not ready to give up on him.

    ReplyDelete