Monday, March 11, 2013

The New Pope


There’s probably an unwritten rule that atheists should not write about religion, but I will anyway.  I know already who the new pope will be.  He will be old, male, and somewhat out of touch with the world, but not in a good way.

In a recent book entitled “Why Priests,” the devout Catholic Garry Wills questions the whole idea of the priesthood.  He believes that the eucharistic meal was, for early Christians, a real meal, and he credits Thomas Aquinas with emphasizing the magical power of turning wine into blood.

Wills, who studied for a number of years in a Jesuit seminary, says he has nothing against the priesthood, but wants to reassure Catholics that they can have a more direct relationship with God.  To me he sounds a lot like Martin Luther, and I am not sure how his book has been received by the Catholic hierarchy.  (But I have a pretty good idea.)

My hope is that the new pope, whomever he is, will move the Catholic church away from the insiders in the Vatican and toward a more open and tolerant church.  

No comments:

Post a Comment