Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Kids for Cash"


This is a book subtitled “Two Judges, Thousands of Children, and a $2.8 Million Kickback Scheme.”  It was written by William Ecenbarger, published by The New Press, and retails for $26.95.

The subject of the book is the scheme by Luzerne County Judges Ciavarella and Conahan to send thousands of children to a juvenile detention facility in return for kickbacks.  The average length of the sentencing hearing was four minutes.  Public defenders, teachers, and court employees who knew about the scheme did nothing.

Both judges are now in prison.  I’m not sure of the length of their sentences, but I think that a life sentence in this case would be appropriate.  

The book is reviewed in today’s New York Times Book Review section. I’m not planning to buy it.  I don’t think I could get through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment