Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mort Sahl revisited


In the Sixties the comedian Mort Sahl used a daily newspaper as his prop.  He’d come on stage, read a headline, and proceed to make witty and cogent comments.  (He’s still alive, by the way.)

I’m not pretending to be Mort Sahl.  Not so witty.  Nonetheless I am borrowing his technique.  Imagine me on stage with today’s New York Times.  I look at various headlines and comment.  One story details the I.R.S. is apologizing to Tea Party groups for examining their tax exempt status.  Another concerns the congressional hearings on Libya.  Page four features an article on women praying at the Western Wall in Israel.  The op-ed page has an opinion piece entitled “Pakistan’s Tyrannical Majority.”  Finally, a front page article is entitled “Heat-Trapping Gas Passes Milestone, Raising Fears.”

Those are my topics for the next five days.  I’ll take them in order.  Tomorrow night I’ll be talking about why the I.R.S. needs to examine the tax exempt status of groups like Carbon County’s 9/12ers.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment