Friday, May 10, 2013

My message to Paul Carpenter


Paul Carpenter is an op-ed columnist for the Allentown Morning Call.  Today he had a column praising Mr. Brinson and attacking the whole idea of labor unions. [See yesterday’s post].  Mr. Carpenter said the idea of mandating  a notice of workers’ rights to form a union was a “repugnant edict.”  

I sent Mr. Carpenter the following message.  (I don’t expect a reply--I’ve sent Mr. Carpenter emails before and never even received an acknowledgement.)

Dear Mr. Carpenter,

“Repugnant edict” seems a little strong for a notice advising workers of their rights.  I don’t see how putting up such a notice restricts Mr. Brinson or any other employer.  They are free to say what they want.

The problem for the average worker is the incredible power differential.  If I am an employee of a man who owns three fitness centers, and he tells me to work overtime with no extra pay, I have three choices.  I can do it, I can quit, or I can be fired.  One nurse has little power against a hospital administration; one clerk has little power against Wal-Mart.  It is only when workers are allowed to form organizations to represent them that they have some real bargaining power.  

And if Brinson thinks we don’t need unions any more “because of laws that now protect workers,” he might try working in a fertilizer plant in Texas, a “right to work” (?) state which has almost no unions.

If Carpenter does reply, I’ll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if Mr Brison reads your blog or not but let me say your post is right on target. He should be made aware that the laws we have are because the unions pushed for safe working conditions in the workplace as well as enviromental laws.

    If it were up to the republicans OSHA and EPA would be history and everyone would be working in facilities like the Texas fertilizer plant. Why--it's all about the money.

    ReplyDelete