Saturday, June 29, 2013

Dark Times, Still Dark


I received an email from my friend Jeremy telling me that he went back and read some of my early posts.  Here’s what he wrote, slightly edited for space requirements.

My kids are sleeping a little longer and I was tired of watching MSNBC so I started reading your blog from the first original post. If you’re curious, here are my observations. First, I assume you created the blog out of the disappointment in 2010. Which you should have!  Dems were caught off guard, and we all had to work harder. 

Second, I could not believe how dark those times were.  And you did a great job conveying that.  I think I have Political PTSD from 2010. I blocked it out, but your blog brought all of those emotions back. 

Third, I think Obama's second term curse happened in 2010.  Hopefully, the 2014 midterms will be more fruitful for Democrats and productive for America. 

Fourth, Democrats are off their 2010 lows. Immigration can cement a Democratic President for another 12 to 16 years.

Jer

I guess I think times are still dark.  When I said this, Linda pointed out that we are discussing climate change and immigration reform rather than fighting to retain Social Security and Medicare, which we would be doing if Romney had won.  

Nonetheless, with the Republicans in control of the House, the Supreme Court, and a large number of state houses along with an almost unlimited (and tax exempt) supply of money, I’m as discouraged as I was in 2010.  Still, “knocked down four times, rising up five.”  

3 comments:

  1. Think about this...

    If Hillary Clinton wins in 2016, there will be 12 - 16 years of a Democratic President. That would be a feat on par with FDR.

    President Obama only lost the state of Georgia by 8%' NC by 2%' he won Virgina and Ohio.

    There is also a chance that in 2016 the Senate will have 60 Democrats.

    With Hillary we would get Bill, who is a master politican comparable to LBJ. My hope is that the two of them can get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, how many TEA party first-term Congressman lost in 2012? 2010 was the high water mark for the Republicans and numbers should only go down from here.

    The Progressive Caucus is much larger than the TEA Party Caucus, too.

    Better days are ahead!

    ReplyDelete