Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The return of the cougar


When I lived in Marin County, I frequently hiked the trails of the Marin Municipal Water District.  The trailheads had signs warning about mountain lions.  Don’t run.  Act “big.”  If attacked, fight back.

I actually saw a mountain lion on Ridge Road.  This very large cat streaked across the road.  I immediately stopped and got out the car, then realized that was really dumb and jumped back in.

I bring all this up because today’s Science section of the New York Times had an article detailing the rebound and spread of cougars, also known as mountain lions and  panthers. In the south where people evidently can’t pronounce “th,” they’re called painters.  

None have been sighted in Pennsylvania, but they have been seen in Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, and Louisiana.  They are coming.  And every time I lose vegetables to deer, I hope it’s soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment