Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lunch at Grumpy's


After we dropped off our entries at the Schecksville Fair, we drove over to Grumpy’s, a locally-known rib and barbecue restaurant, for lunch.  The guy at the next table was holding forth on a number of topics--Obamacare, gun control, religion.  He actually said, “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”  I’m not kidding.

I never know what to do.  Should I have confronted the guy?  Should I have gone over with the little notebook I carry and asked him, “Could you repeat that thing about guns don’t kill people..., I want to write that down?”  Should I have said, “That is more horse shit than produced by the Kentucky Derby?”  Should I have said, “I’m sorry, I’m trying to eat here, and you are making me nauseous?”  

What I did was, I ignored him and worked on the Sunday Times crossword puzzle with Linda.  Still, I’m left with the feeling I should have done more.

3 comments:

  1. I understand where your coming from. I probably would have done the same. If I knew the idiot, then I would have said something. I say this because it is not polite to get involved in other peoples conversations, unless invited into the conversation. I wonder how often he attends church, if at all. If he did, I doubt if his Pastor ever said that in a sermon.

    Of course the idiot is obviously a gun nut and probably has something to hide, otherwise he might be in favor of background checks. Wayne LaPiere would have been proud. They both have the same inteligence as Sarah Palin.

    Did he have his tri-cornered hat on? Or was he wearing tea bags? He is obviously an uneducated man full of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have given this dilemma more thought. You might also consider starting a conversation with people at your table. Of course it would be loud enough for the gun nuts to hear.

    Maybe you could start a conversation with "I don't understand what the NRA is hiding, since they are opposed to background checks or are they just that paranoid". Then let the discussion ensue with your companions. This might elicit some livly conversation from the other table. Maybe just maybe they might be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with that suggestion is that the only other person at my table was Linda, and I don't think she would have gone for it. If I'm ever in a similar situation, I will ask her. She was pretty disgusted.

    ReplyDelete